Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Christians: Taken Advantage Of?

Does anyone else get super annoyed about how Christians treat Christians? Or even how non-Christians treat Christians?

I feel as if the church, para church organizations, non-Christians, and Christian schools treat Christians "badly" because they know they can get away with it.

EXAMPLE.

Today while I was at Fuller, I was trying to get some things taken care of in the registrar office. The guy at the front desk was anything BUT helpful. He literally was treating me like I was 5 years old, telling me that their office was unable to help me, because they like to encourage everyone to use the internet for answers. I was trying to make a case for the fact that I was present now, and only commute once a week to Pasadena, but he wasn't having it.

So, I wasn't very nice. Or maybe I wasn't that bad, but I knew I wasn't acting in the "Christian ways" that I was probably expected to act like. The systems at Fuller (excuse the french...) suck. Most all of them just really suck. But I feel like a lot of the employees there just feel as if they can get away with this because, as Christians, we won't "cause any problems" in getting our stuff taken care of.

My friends know how I am - I get my way, and I get the job done. I finally had to walk away and just give up on the issue, and I felt so angry at the fact that the only reason I gave up was because I didn't want to be judged as a bad Christian for being pushy.

Another time, I was at work (recently) and I was having a reeeally bad day. Like, just the worst day ever. I was SO busy, and I just didn't have time to be my "cheerful" self, which is fake half of the time (but that's what I get paid for...). One of my coworkers noticed this, and schooled me in how I should be acting because I was Christian. Coming from someone who isn't a Christian, I was like, what the heck? Are you serious right now? Christians can be REAL people too!! But I swallowed my pride and just took the hit as I continuously apologized. Deep down, I don't want any problems, and I have no problem with that coworker, in fact, I like her a lot, but I also am just a human being... I am not Jesus Christ. I can try to be like Him... but I am fallen.

So I started to think about all the other ways that business' and organizations with "Christian" attached to them mistreat people a lot of time. A lot of these places get away with murder, and I don't like it. Or how often do you pray at a public restaurant, are caught by the waitress, and then therefore feel like you have to tip well?

Maybe you think I am being extreme in my statements, but I would like to hear your opinions on this. Have you experienced a time where you felt taken advantage of as a Christian? How do you think a Christian should respond?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this has happened to me more times than I'd like to remember by both Christians and non-Christians. In fact, I've been pretty upset about a recent occurrence which is how I ended up at your blog. Thanks for your post ... it's reassuring that there are still decent Christians out there who struggle with this issue!

How should a Christian respond? Good question, it's something I'm also trying to figure out.

My problem is that by continually trying to live up to biblical standards, I sometimes grow too complacent about seeing the dark side of this world and our fallen nature. Then I get a wake up call when fallen people don't reciprocate with love or take advantage of my charity. Maybe these three points can provide a starting point.

(1) "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matt 10:16 We're SO innocent as Christians and seldom hear about the shrewd as serpents part in the pulpit.

(2) I also like to read scripture describing signs of the fallen world. It helps keep bad behavior in perspective ... yes, there is wickedness out there.

(3) I then like to balance the negative with some positive scripture on Christian conduct (forgiveness, love, patience, etc.)

You seem to have a very genuine love for God and living a godly life. May God bless you in your life and studies.