Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Haiti.

As everyone knows, Haiti has been the talk of the world in the last few weeks. Unfortunately, Haiti is already THE poorest county in the Western Hemisphere, and being hit by a huge earthquake does not help the problem. 

I have been hesitant to write about this tragic event because a lot of factors that came alongside it really make me angry. And I have a feeling a lot of people will be automatically upset, or offended, when I say how I feel, but I hope that what I have to say will challenge at least one person to change their ways, and myself too. 

#1 - Pat Robertson. 

>> Mr. Robertson is known as a conservative evangelical pastor, and when he heard the news of what was happening, he decided to come out and say:


Okay, so even if this story was legitimately 100% true, why would you even mention that aspect of things, rather than just saying that you are praying for the people of Haiti or something? But, since the main problem with this is that this story is a folklore, Robertson has just made every single evangelical Christian look completely insane. Good work, Robertson. Not. 

#2 - I know it might sounds stupid, but it really upsets me that everyone who does not care about anyone but themselves, comes out during a tragedy like this, and acts like they really care. And they probably do, but usually it only lasts a few days, and I think that that is the real tragedy. I really want to know the statistic of Americans who first learned that Haiti was even a country because of this earthquake. 

I have been to protests, slept overnight in fields, and I have sat for hours in the sun to make people aware of the social injustice's in the world. Everyone looks at me like I am crazy, and because I am Christian, I am apparently the worst kind of Christian - a "liberal" one. 

Well you know what, me and my friends have cared about Haiti for a long time. And we have been concerned about them and their poverty level for years. Why didn't anyone want to help before? Now... now, it's just a real mess. 

#3 - This might sound reeeally horrible of me, but this story about the Mission Viejo missionaries who were in Haiti on a missions trip, and then flew out on a private jet through one ladies husband's company, really upsets me. As soon as I read that article, I asked God, "God, please don't ever give me a heart that wouldn't drop everything in my life to stay."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I guess the point of this blog is to just remind people that are many injustice's in the world, happening everyday. There are many people suffering, and I highly affirm the fact that Christians need to be very aware of these situations. And once you become aware, don't stop there - take action. give.give.give. however you can, just give of yourself. 

Finally, there is one organization that I am POSITIVE of the fact that all the money will go towards helping Haitians. This organization is called "Hope Force", and I highly recommend that you check out their website, and give what you can. 


No comments: