Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Swine Flu Vaccine... Shouldn't have done it...

Well, there has been much love and concern coming my way over Facebook which I SO appreciate. I just love all of your prayers so much. I just kind of wanted to give one overall update to everyone on here, because my symptoms are hard to deal with, and it's hard to type. 

It all started last Friday, when I received the Swine Flu Vaccine. I felt fine right after it, but over the hours, I developed a headache and nausea. I didn't think anything of it, because after all, I had just had some weird vaccine injected in me. 

That night I got home and I was exhausted. I went to bed, and awoke to horrible muscle cramps all over my body. They were literally "charlie horses" in my legs, and that's what it felt like in my arms, back, and neck (though I don't know if you can call them "charlie horses"). Again, I thought, well, I probably shouldn't be injecting vaccine's into my body. 

The next day was Halloween, and I had SO much to do. But again, I was still exhausted. As I was making my famous dirt cups, I realized that I couldn't grasp the wooden spoon with my right hand. The ONLY way I can describe it, is that it was like I was retarded, in the sense that I felt like my hand was kind of crippling. Super weird. Needless to say, my dirt cups didn't come out as great as they could have. 

That night I had some muscle relaxers, because I thought my muscles were just having spasms because of the vaccine, and I felt pretty good. Around 11pm though, I was SO tired. After everyone left, I felt horrible. 

That night the tingling in my feet and hands started. Again, I just thought it was because I had been dancing, or whatever. I woke up on Sunday morning and I was exhausted. I got up to clean up, and I could barely do that because I was just so exhausted. This was not normal for me because ever since I have been enjoying my "lifestyle change", I have had a ton of energy. I spent the rest of the day in bed, and the tingling and muscle weakness was getting worse. 

The next morning, I got up for work like normal, and I as I was driving, I realized that I couldn't really grasp the steering wheel with my right hand, and, couldn't feel my right foot pressing the pedal. Ya, probably shouldn't have been driving, but it wasn't completely numb. Again, I convinced myself I slept on my arm and leg wrong, and proceeded to work. 

Once there for a few hours, I decided to mention my muscle weakness and tingling to one of the neuro nurses. Of course she immediately wanted me to call the neurologist that we all know and love, and so I did. I told his office secretary what was happening, and to my surprise he called me back on my cell phone 5 minutes later! He asked if I wanted to come in that day, and I said no because I needed to work, and then he graciously offered to take a look at me there in the ICU the next morning (super great guy). 

Tuesday morning came, and the symptoms were the same. He came to test my reflexes etc., and apparently I failed miserably. While I thought I was pushing him with all of my might, he just looked at me with this stunned face, stating, "Are you seriously pushing on me?" He demanded I come in that day for an EMG. This procedure was not very fun, as he explained it by asking me, "Did you ever stick your finger in a light socket as a child?" "No!", I exclaimed. Then he told me that's how the electric one would feel, all over, a bunch of times. And then for the one where he sticks needles into my muscles a million times... well we just won't go there. Fortunately (and, unfortunately I guess...), I wasn't able to feel a lot of the needles, well, because, I am suffering paralysis! ;)

So the test came back abnormal (fuuun...). And while the whole world at my work wants to know if I am stricken with "Guillain Barre Syndrome" (the main, horrible, side effect of the Swine Vaccine), my doctor just shook his head and said, "Honestly, I have no idea what's happening". 

To make matters worse, I just had blood tests done about a month ago, and EVERYTHING was perfectly normal... more than normal. Now, my blood tests are out of whack. SO frustrating. 

So, what's the plan? Well, on Friday I am getting some MRI's done to hopefully find the problem. I don't think I have ever wished for a herniated disc or pinched nerve so much in my life. The doc also said that I could have had some stuff going on already with a disc or nerves, but because of the severe muscle cramping the vaccine caused, it could have pushed it over the edge, which would explain the sudden onset of symptoms. 

IF everything came back negative from the MRI's though, then he said that I would basically just have to wait and see if the paralysis gets worse. He says if it is "Guillain Barre", then he won't be able to treat it until I can't walk, and can't breath. Awesome words, right? He said this usually takes from 4-6 weeks with the vaccine cases. 

In the meantime, I sooo feel like that annoying person that complains about their whole body hurting. I HATE being that person. I literally just went into 24 Hour Fitness and upgraded my pass to the Sport clubs because I wanted to start swimming again. Doc says I can't even walk when I am home, and when I am not at work or school, it's bed rest for me (until the MRI results). 

I will write more later on the vaccine itself, but for now, I have to recommend not getting the vaccine. My doc says that the government is lying, and that they are using scare tactics to frighten everyone into getting a vaccine that is not safe. Take it as you will...

Work today was extremely hard, and even now, my head and back is killing me. I am pretty bummed about all of this, because like I had said, my life and health was really starting to turn around for the better. But through it all, the Lord is being so faithful. 

  • At first, MRI told me I was going to have pay $1000 up front for the MRI's. This would have been impossible, and I wouldn't have been able to get them done. But then this miracle lady in the business office took it upon herself to help me SO much, and figure out that my insurance covers them 100%! So amazing!
  • So even though I was in so much pain, I randomly started a conversation about my schooling with one of the security guards, and he was fascinated by my choice of studies, and began to tell me about dreams he has been having. These were some craaaazy dreams, and I wasn't sure what to say. But I thought of Andrew Faris, and the time that Joel Garman told me that Faris told him, to always lead them to the Bible. So I asked the security guard if he had ever read the Bible. The guard said no, and I told him, "well, there are some pretty cool dreams in the bible too... lots of people in the bible had dreams, just like you." He seems SO interested, and so I promised him I would bring him a bible. Sweetness. 
  • Finally, though I was so weak today, I ended up HAVING to walk all the way to the front of the hospital to get something. I really didn't want to go, but had no choice. But while I was over there, I ran into an old patient and his family. I think about them so much, and how it is SUCH a miracle that this patient is still alive! I watched this patient mostly on a vent, and then the day he got transferred upstairs, he was still really out of it (mentally). Now I was talking to a completely different person! He was perfect! His dad gave me a big hug, and his brother said that they had a list of people they wanted to see, and I was on it! As it is, it turns out that I am actually old friends with someone who is best friends with the patients brother. And I have also had a chance to talk with this "old friend" about God, as we worked at the hospital together. If my friends remember the story - he is the friend who was present when one of the world's leading evangelicals entered into the ER, and I made him sign my book (though he had a broken leg), and in the end, ended up giving the book to my "old friend", who ended up reading it, and believing in a Creator ("of some sort...", he said). 
All in all, God is just reminding me that through all things, He is still able to work through my life... especially when I least expect it. 

Please pray for the pain I am having, and for my concentration. I have a huge midterm and 2 papers coming up, and I am just praying I can get through this quarter. And I guess, you can also pray for complete healing.. as the Lord wills...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update Carrie! That's why I checked your blog today, hoping there would be one. I an so worried about you!! I hope it all works out. I will be praying.

<3 Jessie

Anonymous said...

God uses all things for the GOOD for those who love Him! I love your story, Well His story...although it involves pain and anxiety, it too involves purpose. May His light shine in you through all of this and may you persevere so you can be made complete. I am praying for complete healing for you and awareness to the world through you.God Bless this woman!

-Jennifer Miller

Alicia Miller said...

Carrie, your trust and eternal perspective are so encouraging. You have such an amazing ministry at work which continues regardless of your physical circumstances. You have so many people praying for your symptoms. May God be glorified through you!