Sunday, October 4, 2009

Grad School Update...

Some people have been asking for an update on how grad school is going, so I must oblige. I don't really have much to say because it's only been a week now, but I feel like I am able to say that Fuller is exceeding all of my expectations. Some key points:
  • Driving up to class, I had a coffee with me, and I was a little nervous about whether it would be allowed in the classroom. When I walked into class, I saw that the school had already set up coffee, and every tea imaginable, while our professor confessed to waking up at 5am and making cookies. I finally felt like an adult. ;)
  • Our prof gave us his cell number, and demanded we call him "Nate". 
  • About 5 people in my class have already taken this class (and graduated), but wanted to come back because "Nate's" lectures are just "that good". 
  • Fuller offers alumni the chance to take TWO audit classes EVERY year, for the rest of their life. Are.you.kidding.me.?
  • "Nate's" lecture blew.my.mind. Maybe this was because my Church History course at Biola was so horrible, but I don't think so. Everything was tied together so nicely with pictures and stories ("Nate" is an amaaazing story teller), and he kept it at a nice pace to where I had time to type out everything he was saying. And the best part about it was, I was actually learning A LOT! 
  • Both of my prof's have written and published books (standard), but they are very accessible, and both have websites built for each class they teach. This way, we can go online and download everything we need. 
  • My New Testament prof gave us his skype name, and told us to iChat with him for our questions. Sweetness. 
  • I have realized that grad school is really important. I remember having a conversation about this with Dr. Yoshikawa (my Greek prof at Biola). I told him how I felt really unprepared for ministry after graduating with my Biblical Studies degree. He wasn't too surprised, and quickly told me that seminary was to prepare a person for ministry. Obviously, some would differ with this opinion (which is fine), but I am kind of with Dr. Yosh on this one. Not that a person would be horrible in ministry or something, it just seems that spending more time studying what you preach, isn't such a bad thing. It's like anything in this world - lets look at nursing. You can be a great nurse with your AA or BA in nursing, but the more you are educated (Nurse practitioner, critical care nursing, open heart surgery nursing.. any of the specialities), the more well rounded, and skilled nurse you will be. With that said, two things: (1) I just kind of want to encourage a person to go to grad school, if they have the opportunity... and, (2) I am humbled and blessed by this opportunity to be here, and my prayer is that through this experience, God would fill me with knowledge, that would glorify His name. 
So anyway, this is the gist of it so far. It's going to be super intense for a little while, because I have a lot of work to do. I am going to give you a list of all the books I'm reading (would love to hear any opinions if you have them), and I pretty much have to read the entirety of all the books. It's a lot. Plus papers, midterms, finals... grad school really is a lot of work (and A LOT of reading!). I definitely need to start getting focused. For the last 16 months, I haven't been in school, so I am definitely very rusty, and I have already been avoiding my reading like the plague. 

Needless to say, your prayers would be HUGELY appreciated. 

Reading list:
  • All four canonical gospels in either NRSV or TNIV translation (hehe). 
  • Achtemeier, Paul J., Joel B. Green, and Marianne Meye Thompson. Introducing the New Testament: Its Literature and Theology.
  • Aland, Kurt. Synopsis of the Four Gospels (Greek-English)
  • Barton, Stephen C. (editor). The Cambridge Companion to the Gospels
  • Kirk, J. R. Daniel, Jesus the Man (This is an excerpt of my prof's book that he is in the middle of writing. 
  • Murphy, Frederick J. Early Judaism: The Exile to the Time of Jesus 
  • Wright, N. T. The Challenge of Jesus 
  • Bettenson, Henry, ed. Documents of the Christian Church
  • Feldmeth, Nathan P. Pocket Dictionary of Church History. (This is my prof's handy little book, that I basically have to memorize). 
  • Froehlich, Karlfried, ed. and trans. Biblical Interpretation in the Early Church
  • Clark, Elizabeth A. Women in the Early Church
  • Latourette, Kenneth Scott. A History of Christianity. Vol. 1. (This book is intense, but really great). 
  • Rausch, William C. The Trinitarian Controversy.

6 comments:

Andrew Faris said...

Sounds like fun!

I heard that you posted a facebook status update or something that said you're already an egalitarian. Was that true, false, or truly what you wrote but sarcastic?

Andrew

Carrie said...

I wrote it, but I was just being sarcastic because everyone is so worried about me. ;) geeze

Camyron Lee said...

SO GLAD it's going well!!!!

Carrie said...

Thanks Cam!

S G said...

I'm glad N.T. Wright made the reading list ;-)

Fuller sounds great so far!

And the Biola church history comment made me laugh...

Anonymous said...

The Biola church history comment is SO TRUE.....

<3 Jessie

P.s. So proud of you!