Thursday, July 9, 2009

Derek Webb's new album!


Wow, enough about Michael Jackson... sheesh... lets chat about a wonderful musician - Derek Webb. If you've never heard of him, than you might want to think back to the older days of Caedmon's Call, in which Webb was a member. But now, Webb is out, and on his own (that is, if he doesn't have his wife, Sandra McCracken, in tow). 

Derek Webb brings up so many memories for me... the moment I heard his first album in that little blue truck, or what about the time I saw him for the first time at the House of Blues and was completely awe struck, or the time he was pissed at me when I threw that Invisible Children Benefit concert... Oh, so many memories. 

But through all of the ups and downs I have had with Webb, one thing has stayed consistent - his music. His fiery lyrics that call Christians to living a life that actually imitates Christ, can get any (true) Christian on the edge of their seat. Oh ya, I said it, "true" Christian. ;)

Well listen up, because his new album is halfway out the door, and it's already more controversial than ever! There is already tons of Christian bloggers who are angrily blogging about his lyrics, and how he cares more about starving people than saving the souls of homosexuals, and sharing the gospel (apparently they haven't listened to Webb's millions of songs about this...)

*sigh*

Blogs like those make me not want to go to church anymore. 

Lets chat about this - Webb's new song calls out Christians, because most seem to care more about changing laws for homosexual marriage, rather than trying to help the starving people in the world. Here are some of the lyrics, and yes, there are some naughty words in the song...

"You say you always treat people like you like to be
I guess you love being hated for your sexuality
You love when people put words in your mouth
'Bout what you believe, make you sound like a freak

'Cause if you really believe what you say you believe
You wouldn't be so damn reckless with the words you speak
Wouldn't silently conceal when the liars speak
Denyin' all the dyin' of the remedy

Tell me, brother, what matters more to you?
Tell me, sister, what matters more to you?

If I can tell what's in your heart by what comes out of your mouth
Then it sure looks to me like being straight is all it's about
It looks like being hated for all the wrong things
Like chasin' the wind while the pendulum swings

'Cause we can talk and debate until we're blue in the face
About the language and tradition that he's comin' to save
Meanwhile we sit just like we don't give a s**t
About 50,000 people who are dyin' today

Tell me, brother, what matters more to you?
Tell me, sister, what matters more to you?"

Unfortunately, for all you Christians out there, Webb is right. And I believe that people don't like it because his lyrics call you to living a different life. 

Imagine this - instead of all the crazy antics, and all the money poured into "Yes on Prop 8", we pour all of that time and money on relationships... on people who are suffering... 
How about, instead of Sunday sermons focusing on telling your congregation on how and why to vote a certain way, YOU preach the gospel?!

I look forward to listening to Webb's new album, and watching his 60 minute documentary, while being encouraged to live my life more like Jesus would. Thank you Webb for being a bold and prophetic voice to this generation. 

...Oh, and thanks for selling your albums for so cheap. 

Buy your copy here

4 comments:

blythe said...

"he was pissed at me when I threw that Invisible Children Benefit concert" ??

back up. what?

Andrew Faris said...

Carrie,

If only Webb's songwriting didn't go so down hill, and if only he didn't seem more concerned with condescension and shock value than with thoughtfulness.

The lyrics for this song illustrate the problems I've had with Derek Webb that began to surface on I See Things Upside Down (an album I still mostly enjoy), but that came out full force on Mockingbird. Webb may be right, but he also may be going about it in all the wrong ways.

Yeah, it's troubling that we care more about Prop 8 than about hungry people who are dying. It is. But that doesn't excuse condescension. Even the swearing: why bother? He actually has to rush to squeeze "damn" into the phrasing of that line. I can't help but look at it and say, "Derek: what's the point other than to shock Christians?"

Derek Webb songs, in my view, work like musical thesis statements. He puts a point out there, and you agree or disagree. So when he's not being careful or thoughtful it's just frustrating.

Carrie said...

Blythe - Yes, I threw an Invisible Children Concert in October of 2006, and Webb headlined. When it ran a little late, he wanted to go on sooner than planned, but the other band refused to go on later. It was just a mess. So he kept calling me on my cell phone, and I was sooo stressed out, and then finally he was like, "Can you come up here" (to the hidden upper office at the church). I was so freaked out, and Reinhardt graciously agreed to go with me and talk to him, for me (I totally wussed out). And he was hanging up there with his wife (who is also semi famous), and he was just NOT happy. I think they were just having a bad day. They kind of argued on stage and everything (his wife performed too). So then his wife peaced out pretty fast, but Derek hung out to sign autographs, which was cool. But then they totally ditched out on the $200 hotel I was forced to rent for them, leaving the $200 as just a waste of money. Lame. Anyway, that's my story. He seems pretty ... ummm... "intense".

Andrew - You do have a good point... and I totally respect everything you have to say, so I definitely hear you, always.
Sometimes I feel like going to the extreme, or "shocking" (though kind of ridiculous), is better than just keeping it neutral, or not very stimulating at all. I don't know...

Anonymous said...

Why the swearing?? Why?? I can't but agree with Andrew that someone is just a little too interested in being shocking....

Just my two cents....

<3 Jessie