Sunday, June 21, 2009

Silly detours...

Isn't it amaaazing at how much God loves His children?!

I write the same thing every time I go to a wedding, or bridal shower, etc., and the host(s) asks us to write some kind of word of encouragement. I write - "Remember to seek first the Kingdom, and all that you need will be given to you by God." Yes, I am translating that verse myself (Mt. 6). And, ya, I write this all the time, but sometimes I don't even believe it for myself, but I swear, I see this promise come to fruition all the time. 

I have a very good friend, and her name is Erin. She's pretty much amazing, and I love her dearly. Well Erin is super into the outdoors, and goes on all these crazy hikes and camping trips, and sees the beauty of God through nature (which is awesome). Well, Erin was on her way to Yosemite to attempt this gnarly hike with some friends, and on the way there, they just had some major disruptions. The car broke down on the grapevine, and then there was this police standoff where they were stranded, and they had to sleep in their car... just craziness. Well eventually, they all decided to just forego the trip, and return home. When Erin got home, her mom greeted her with an article about how 40 people had to be evacuated, from where they were supposed to be camping, because of thunderstorms and hailstorms. And while the people were evacuating, a 40 year old man fell off the mountain and died. Very sad. 

As Erin was telling me this story, I just kept thinking, wow, this could have been her! For whatever reason God did NOT want them to be up on that mountain, and He did everything He could to get all the friend's hearts to "shift" to heading home (after all the trials God threw their way). 

Erin and her friends had been planning this trip for 2 whole months. They bought all the camping food, and they were all packed, and had been training for the hike... they were ready to go. God knew that they would never even make it to Yosemite, but He still let them plan, and He even let them put the pedal to the metal, as they began driving towards the mountain. 

So why would He detour them after all that?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that this is just how God works. He works everything together for His perfect plan, and He watches over, takes care of, and loves His children, who are seeking first the Kingdom. 

Sometimes it's really difficult to understand why God does what He does, but we continually have to have faith that He knows best. Sometimes, we are going to hit detours, and those detours might not be understood in less than 48 hours. Those detours might not be understood for a looong time. But we can't give up during the detour. We must keep seeking the Kingdom, and making an eternal difference for the Kingdom. Because in the end, the detour will make sense... and we don't want to look back at our lives and realize - we were always just waiting, for the detours, to end. 

Jesus loves you. 

No comments: