Thursday, April 23, 2009

All I Need Is You, Lord, Is You Lord...

I went to the Hillsong United "worship night" a couple days ago, and it was awe.some. I was a little hesitant at first because I thought it was strange that I would have to pay $25 to worship God, but I just kept trying to tell myself that travel wasn't free (for all of them). ;)

The show started out strong, and I was pretty stoked to be around people who are a little more charismatic in their worship (in song) of God. They played some awesome songs, and then they started playing the song called, "All I need is You". As they were playing this song, and it got to the lyrics of: 
You hold the universe
You hold everyone on earth
You hold the universe
You hold
You hold

... I began to realize how amazing God is. Singing this truth over and over, just delighted every inch of my being. The point of the song is that ALL we need is God. Is this true for us? Is God actually all we need? Do we live like that? 

For me personally, I have been convicted by this lately, which in turn caused me to cleanse. I donated clothes, and threw away things (emotionally and physically) that I was SO convinced I needed, but began to get in the way of my relationship with God. I started to become so convinced that God truly was all that I needed, but out of worship to Him, I wanted to cleanse my life of things so that He would really believe it. 

He holds the Universe. 

He holds everyone is His hands. 

If I am truly believing this truth about God, then yes, I truly should ONLY need Him. He is all I need. 

Brook Fraser from Hillsong was telling us the classic story about an ironsmith who works to get all the impurities out of the iron. We've heard that God does the same with us. Bring all the impurities to the surface, so that they can be severed off. This process of sanctification can be so difficult and painful, but it's worth it. And for me, so many times the yucky stuff that God wants to get rid of, is this mustard seed faith within me, and this reliance upon everything else that I can get my hands on... just.not.God. 

Lately I feel like God knows that I need Him now more than ever. I feel like such a child as He walks me through each day. He helps me find lost books and CD's I need, and He speaks to me on a daily basis. But when I step back and realize what God has been doing this in my life, I realize that it's probably because I have placed my whole dependence upon Him. I go to Him first with my fears and tears, and I make sure that He is the #1 priority for me. 

I've been learning that as humans, we go through many different seasons within our lives. And as we go through seasons we can begin to put our hopes and trust into different things, people, and institutions. But most of the time, those things that are with us for a season, eventually fade away. High School friends and teachers, gone. College is so far away. Different people who have come in and out of my life, love them, but accept that it's over. And sometimes the goodbyes are good, and sometimes the goodbyes are really painful, but in all goodbyes there is still hope, because there is still God. God doesn't come in and out of seasons; He is always with us... constant, and consistent. He is the beginning and the end, and He will never leave us or forsake. And this is why....

All I need is You Lord...
is You Lord.
All I need is You. 



Here's the whole song. Watch the video, you will love it. 

"Left my fear by the side of the road
Hear You speak
Won't let go
Fall to my knees as I lift my hands to pray

Got every reason to be here again
Father's love that draws me in
And all my eyes wanna see is a glimpse of You

All I need is You
All I need is You Lord
Is you Lord

One more day and it's not the same
Your spirit calls my heart to sing
Drawn to the voice of my Saviour once again
Where would my soul be without Your Son
Gave His life to save the earth
Rest in the thought that You're watching over me

All I need is You
All I need is You Lord
Is You Lord

You hold the universe
You hold everyone on earth
You hold the universe
You hold
You hold

All I need is You
All I need is You Lord
Is You Lord"


3 comments:

jordan said...

awesome post.

..except for the $25. bull crap.

Carrie said...

Jordan, I love you, but you do realize that people are basically paying you to play on Sunday mornings, right?...

jordan said...

daz cuz i rule