Monday, February 9, 2009

Some sleep IS better than no sleep.

Today I definitely should have been in a car accident. 

If you don't know, I have been working some late night shifts at the Emergency Room to make some extra money (well it's not really "extra"...). On Saturdays I usually work from 6pm - 2:30am, and then on Sundays from 11pm - 7:30am. Well this last weekend I worked on Saturday until 3am, got completely lost on the 73 tollroad ($4.25 later...), and didn't get home until 4am! Then I had to be up for church at 6:30am... it was rough. 

But the good part was that I would want to sleep for a solid 7 hours in the afternoon to prepare for my graveyard shift. I slept until about 9:00pm, got ready for work, and watched a bit of the Grammy's. I grabbed some coffee at a gas station and was off to work. I felt good, awake, and alert. And besides the fact that I still have to deal with 40 year old women calling me "new girl" the entire time, it was a pretty good shift. It is seriously just so funny, I will be sitting right there, and 2 women will be having a conversation about me saying, "Well the new girl doesn't even know how busy this place gets at night..." It takes everything in me to not completely fight back... eerrrhhhh. 

Anyway, at around 5am I started to get really sleepy. I was so frustrated by this because I had just slept for 7 hours... shouldn't I be able to stay awake (really awake) for at least 12-15 hours? I don't understand why my body wants to shut down so easily. But I was still going to go through with my plan to go to court in Downey at 8:30am. 

Court. Many of you have been asking. Well, you see, I have 2 fix it tickets. I was pulled over twice in a 3-day period for my tail light being out, and I didn't have my insurance card. As usual, I am totally irresponsible and forgot all about these tickets until I got a letter in the mail saying that my license would be suspended on February 14th unless I took care of everything. Can I just say right now that February 14th is just going to stink really bad this year... for SO many reasons. Well the story gets even MORE complicated because I received one ticket in L.A., and one ticket in O.C. This means that I have to go to TWO different courts. I'm exhausted just talking about it...

So I went to the O.C. court last week, hoping that the judge would let me pay my fines this week. Well I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I can pay my fines this week. The bad news is that I have to go BACK to see the judge (again!) to get permission to do this. But I thought, hey, no problemo, I will go to court early Friday morning and take care of it, as long as I can take care of my L.A. tickets on Monday (my day off). 

So I am getting directions to the courthouse, and my iPhone is telling me something different than mapquest. After researching and researching, I feel as if the mapquest directions are correct because I got them from the courthouse website. So I leave the hospital and I am like deliriously tired. And to make things worse, one of the ladies who makes fun of me as "new girl" is walking out to her car as the same time as me. And since it had been raining, I had a huge army print tarp over the hood of my car that I had to take off, shake out, and stick in my front seat. So embarrassing.  

I start my trek, and I realize that I have to take the 405, to the 605, to the 5, to the 101. I am thinking - "You have GOT to be kidding me." So here I am in rush hour traffic and I am just SO tired. Now, this tired is a tired I have never really felt before. I kind of felt like I was dying because I just had no control over my body. I had my windows down to get the wind in my face, and I was screaming out songs on my radio to try and stay awake, and I was just fading more and more every minute. I mean seriously, I shouldn't have been driving (and I have learned my lesson if you are wondering). 

At one point, I saw a sign that said "Welcome to Downey". But I looked at my directions and saw that I had 20 more miles to go. Stupid, delirious me, just went with the directions, and didn't bother double checking. Eventually I ended up in HOLLYWOOD. Hollywood. That is NOT where I needed to be. I started crying (of course), and I kind of started getting some major anxiety because I really felt like I couldn't make it home... physically. I pulled out my iPhone and tried to redirect myself back to the courthouse, only realizing how stupid I would be to do that because I was already too late, and I was falling asleep! So I just hit home, "take me home iPhone!" I should have trusted my iPhone from the beginning...

I should have stopped at my parents house because I was only 20 miles away from there but all I wanted was my bed sooo badly. Somehow, God miraculously helped me to get home safely, and I vowed to NEVER do something stupid like that again. 

I was super bummed that I missed court this morning because now I am going to HAVE to go on Thursday or Friday. There is just no other way around it... I have to go. But even then, I don't know if I am too late to have them not take away my license, getting everything cleared up the day before. 

The moral of the story #1 - take care of your fix-it tickets right away. Don't be stupid like me. 

Moral of the story #2 - I woke up at noon today (went to sleep at 10am) and felt really refreshed. Looks like two hours of sleep time is better than nothing. 

Ps. I still don't really know how to get to the courthouse in Downey, so if you have ever been there, please, enlighten me...

6 comments:

Psalm37 said...

Hi Carrie,
Its Rachel from Church. I thought I would let you know that I did some research for your court house in Downey, CA. I found this address on google.com; 7500 Imperial Highway Downey CA, 90242. Downey Courthouse. I hope this helps! Take Care and get some rest.

In Christ, Rachel

Camyron Lee said...

Poor Carrie,
The iphone fails again. Two times in one week? Doubt is taking root.

Benjamin Camp said...

Carrie,

Downey is my hometown. I can map you to the courthouse from anywhere in So-Cal, give me a call whenever you need to go.

-Ben

Jon said...

Wow. Rough. Apple will never steer you wrong, and it sounds like you learned that beautiful truth. Also, totally unrelated, listen to "White Winter Hymnal" by Fleet Foxes. It's super-infectious, in the non-itchy kind of way. You'll love it.

Carrie said...

Jon - "In the summertime".... ohhhhhh ohhhh ohhhhhh ohh ohh ohh ohh ohh ...

Ben - I'm gunna hit you up...

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, Carrie survived! ;)

Love Jessie