Sunday, February 22, 2009

Growing Up: Taxes

I am going to start a new series called "Growing Up", capturing the moments of figuring out little life details for myself. Lately, I have been thinking a lot about how awesome it is that my blog will be on the Internet forever (well, as long as there is Internet). So when my kids are teenagers, they will be able to look back at what my life was like from now, up until then; isn't that awesome! So if you are reading this future children - hello, I love you, and I love your father ;)

I thought it would also be fun to post a picture of me when I was little to each post. This will start to be quite the task, as I need to go get my photo albums out of my parents storage unit, but I have a few to begin with. This picture is me, my cousin Aaron, and my dad. Personally, I think I was a very cute kid - and ugly baby - but a cute kid. My hair was completely out of control. Super thick and curly, and it would get knotted up because I just had so much. I hated it. But now I wish I had it back. I did so much work trying to get rid of it, it's not coming back as fast! Ah! Oh well, what can you do? I think I was 3 or 4 in this picture, and I believe it was around Christmas time. It was taken at my Grandma's house, in which I have very fond memories. As I reminded everyone at her funeral years ago, if you were going to grandma's, then you were eating cheese balls, swimming in the jacuzzi, and playing baseball with a ball made out of duct tape. I loved those time with my family (extended and immediate). 

But I'm growing up, and one thing that I took over responsibility of this year was my taxes. Every year my dad always does my taxes. Well, he takes them to his tax guy. And every year he waits until the last possible moment to do so, and I am running to the post office at 5pm trying to mail them out before I get in trouble. So this year I decided to take care of them all by myself. I wasn't sure what to do - was I supposed to get a tax guy, or buy the turbo tax program at Costco? A bunch of people referred me over to the free online Turbo Tax but I thought that seemed a little sketchy. One day, I had all my stuff in order, and I just wanted to take care of it, so I decided I was going to try out this famous Turbo Tax

I logged in and started the process. It was incredibly easy, and my singleness and poor-ness qualified me for the free turbo taxer. Within a matter of 20 minutes, I was on my way to receiving a very large reimbursement (mostly related to college expenses). And for an extra $30, I was able to receive my money within two weeks, and right into my bank account (hence the new bed I sleep on currently). Now I have my taxes conveniently on my computer in PDF form, and also just a click away in my turbo tax account. Turbo tax is just TOO easy, and I highly recommend it for all you single, poor people out there. 

As for me, I LOVE that I did this on my own. I don't know why taxes were always so intimidating to me, and I feel so much more independent now that I have done them by myself, and can start keeping records for myself. 

Stay tuned for next time, as we look at how, for the first time ever, I bought a bed (with MY money!)

2 comments:

carissa said...

i had never done taxes until this year. i thought it would be super scary, but turbo tax was really easy!

now if i can get the IRS to believe my name really is carissa abrego and not carissa abrigo . . . but that's another story.

yay for being a grownup.

Anonymous said...

That pic of you is ADORABLE. It looks just like you! And taxes scare me...I use a tax guy. Maybe someday I'll be as grown up as you and I will be able to do it myself. ;)

Love Jessie