Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Emerging or Emergent?

Rock Harbor church is a church in Costa Mesa, California. I have many friends who attend this church, and every now and then I will go on a Sunday night (love that 9pm service...). My church has been lucky enough to have had a great relationship with the staff at RH, and have been able to learn many things from them. RH is doing amazing things for the Kingdom on earth, and I look forward to their future. 

Recently, they have been accused of being "emerging", or "emergent". They have addressed this in three ways: (1) - They have not ignored the issue, and they are very open and honest with their church about this claim against them:


(2) - They have written a series of essays about their stance on certain doctrinal issues:
Women in Ministry

(3) - They held a forum at their church addressing the issues, which you can watch here:

Video of Rock Harbor's Forum on the Emerging Church

I haven't watched the forum, but I have read the essays. They are well written, and they definitely line up with my beliefs as a Christian. I would not identify RH as an "emerGENT" church. We need to make sure that we understand their is a difference between a church being identified as "emerGING", and "emerGENT". I won't get into it on my blog, because I am just not that interested in this topic, but I did want to address this publicly because I believe that RH is too great of a church to have these kinds of rumors going around about them. But you can read more about "emerging" vs. "emergent" here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROCKHARBOR is as fundamentalist as it comes, just with nicer graphics and prettier people. End of story.

Carrie said...

Grant?