Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Winter Staff Retreat 2008

This past weekend we went up to Lake Arrowhead for our Bi-Annual staff retreat. It was a great trip (as usual), and we all had a great time of bonding, learning, and growing together as a staff. 

This staff retreat was bittersweet as we were enjoying our last weekend away with our worship and graphics director - Chris Reinhardt, but was saying hello to our new worship director - Danny Larsh. It was nice being able to spend time with Chris before he leaves, and it was also nice to have a chance getting to know Danny a little better. 

The weekend started out on Wednesday night for Jono, Simone, and I, as we left at 10pm after  youth group to go up to the cabin early. We arrived there at around 1am (after stopping for in n out) and decided to watch the movie "I am Legend"...looooved it. Such a great movie. We all crashed and awoke to a beautiful morning in Arrowhead. We went into town and hung out until everyone else started to arrive. Once everyone got there we all hung out for a bit, sat down for a spaghetti dinner (Simone's sauce was great!), and gathered together for some prayer. After praying for a bit, we exchanged our white elephant gifts. There were definitely some funny gifts given. We had the standard Norman gift which usually involved plastering someones photo on a picture frame or mug, and this year that honor went to Chris Reinhardt and Frank! They were pretty hilarious pictures. I went for the not so white elephant gift (the one that everyone actually wants...), so I brought a nice mug with hot cocoa and marshmallows in it. It was stolen multiple times and finally ended up in Reinhardt's hands where he enjoyed hot cocoa late into the night. 

But the gift that trumped all gifts this year was given by the one and only - Brenda Paternostro. It was obvious that she put a lot of thought into it, and though it was chosen by me and never stolen, it had to end up in Frank's hands by the end of the night. 

Frank's Mullet Wig...

Frank used to have a mullet so he was pretty stoked.
Here are some other pictures of us opening up presents:




And here is a video I took of Tatum juggling. Also seen in this video are those pictures of Reinhardt and Frank that I was talking about. 


At the end of this video you can see where the night is going...towards a crazy game of guesstures. This game was so intense I didn't even get pictures of everyone who was playing because I was freaking out. I am really not that much of a competitive person, but I was getting really serious about this game. We were playing best out of 5 games, and we went back and forth until we were finally at 2 games to 2 games each. It was so heated. I think the funniest part of the night was watching Danny really not understand how serious this game was, when all of us were just ready to kill each other to win. 

Chris Reinhardt

Chris Norman

Lela Sanchez

Jono Knepper

Frank Sanchez

Sorry about the horrible blurry photos. I was trying to get a picture of everyone so I could write a little bit about everybody like I did on my last blog, but it just didn't happen. So, luckily, you can just read it here. 

Anyway, it's 2 to 2, and we are in the heat of the last game. If you don't know, the winner of the game is the first team to get 15 points. Finally, we are both tied for points at 10 to 10, which is the worst spot to be in because it is almost impossible to get 5 points in one round, and the boys went first for this round which meant that they would get 2 turns before we would get two turns. So Danny Larsh, the newbie, gets up there and just busts out 4 points. 4 points was really rare the whole night because we were getting some really tough words. So at this point in the game, the score is Boys - 14 and girls - 10. We have two options: One, go for the 5 points (which we had already done in another game and lost miserably), or Two, get a solid 3 points and hope that the boys score no points, leaving us with only 2 to get for the next round (which did happen earlier in the night as well). It was Brenda's turn, and I was firm in telling her that we needed to go for the 5 points. Tatum wanted to play it safe, but the majority of the team knew that we had to go for the 5 to win. 

I was sooo nervous as Brenda walked up there! I was just praying that we would win because the boys were already so excited and confident that we were about to lose. Brenda gets up there and we are all huddled around each other just as focused as could be. She starts with the words...the first one was easy - "Arm"...then "Kangaroo"..."and then I don't remember the rest but we get 4 in a row and we are going for the 5th one with 10 seconds left. I just remember I had no idea what it was. I was sitting there thinking to myself, "We are about to lose because I have no clue what she is trying to act out..." When suddenly, Simone shouts it out..."Ear Muffs!!!!!" She shouts out the word as Brenda calmly hits the guesstures thingy FOR THE WIN!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!! We WON!!!!!!! We were jumping up and down screaming. Oh my gosh, I seriously don't remember the last time I was so happy about something in my life. The girls were victorious once again! 


And the boys lost once again... :)

I had to post these pictures from last year because from the looks of it...we can't afford to buy new clothes. Spot who is wearing the same outfit (hint: one boy and one girl...) 



And here is a video we took right after we won! It got a little heated after Reinhardt threw a pillow at Tatum. I think he was just taking out all the anger he has against her since 3 years ago when he told her he was going to "throw her out the window". Now that I think about it, I am honestly surprised he never said anything like that to me before... ;)


The next morning we had Pastor Rod come out from "Sanctuary" Church. He is a great guy, and a dentist for all you looking. He had some awesome things to say to us, encouraging us in working as a team, having wisdom, and keeping on track with our relationship with the Lord. It was a great time for me to think about a lot of things. I also want to give a point to Simone for having the question of the morning. It went something like this - "But what if they just refuse to talk to you?" Thanks for that Simone. ;)

That afternoon we went out on our traditional boat ride. I have some pictures and videos to sum that up:










I swear we are like 5 year olds when we try to leave the boys on the island... ;)


So that's about it. All in all it was a great trip. You can read more about the trip on Frank's Blog if you want a boy's perspective ;)

6 comments:

Bethany Pee said...

A few things...

1. my mom is definitely MY mother. I love it hahaha I miss her.
2. It's weird that you're like, kind of hanging out with my parents. I don't know, just sayin.
3. Is that my camera you're using?
4. Can we please have a girls night at that amazing house or something... pretty please? with a cherry on top?
5. Wow I CANNOT wait to come home. I miss you guys.

Simone Knepper said...

I like my cry for Jono at the end of that last video. Very extensive post. well done.

Simone Knepper said...

Oh ja, and just for the record: That's my "cozy-in-the-mountains-sweater".

Carrie said...

Bethany -

Your parents are awesome, of course I hang out with them ;)

We should have a girls night there...

I miss you too!!!!

Simone -

Your cry for Jono is the best.

And your sweater is also very important because Jono likes it a lot. :)

Carrie said...

Oh yah, and Bethany, that IS your camera I am using. You are not getting it back.

Bethany Pee said...

HAHA you suck, i'm getting it back...