Thursday, November 6, 2008

Me and my wicked heart...

So, with the election right behind us now, I have had quite a few thoughts running through my head these days. Some about the presidential race, some about the different propositions, and some about theological matters. 

The other day, John Krutsinger and Sarah Mittman became engaged to be married, and as I was sitting on a yacht awaiting their arrival, Chris Reinhardt and I were having a conversation with a man named Roy. Roy is an older, single guy, who has devoted his entire life to discipling young men. He is extremely wise, and extremely patient, and just an awesome guy to listen too. 

Well, Chris had asked him a question about something, and in referencing a person who had messed up, or broken the law (or something...I zoned out for a minute...), Roy started to talk about how we need patience for all people, especially those who are not Christians. 

Roy explained that his heart is just as wicked as anyone else's heart, and the only thing that is sustaining him to not act on his embedded wickedness, is the grace of God. 

In that moment I had this vision of me standing next to someone who isn't a Christian, and all I saw was two people who were exactly alike. And then I just saw God holding me up (almost kind of like floating), and sustaining me by putting His arms around me so that I wouldn't run. 

Of course then, I thought of the famous hymn - "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing", which has a famous verse of: 

"O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above."

I felt myself being bound to God...and needing to ask God to daily bind myself to Him. Why? Because I am so prone to wander just like anyone else is prone to wander. 

You know what else is great about this hymn..."prior grace". If you haven't heard my rants about Dr. Lunde's "prior grace" stuff, then you can read it here. But in this hymn, we see in the first sentence, God gives us grace. He gives us grace first. Then we have to act - so we ask Him to bind our hearts to Himself. Oooo but then we wander sometimes don't we? We are so PRONE to wander, so it's our turn to act again...we give our hearts to God and ask Him to seal them in heaven. 

So I started relating this wonderful thought of God's grace saving my wicked heart, and I started to correlate it with Proposition 8 specifically. I just want to say that I do believe the Word of God is clear that homosexuality is a sin, and I would never give my blessing to a homosexual marriage, because of God's word. But sometimes, Christians can get sooo wrapped into their own bubble, they cannot see anything through the residue. It's this attitude of, "Well, you have no right to be married because God is NOT okay with homosexual marriages." And so many times, Christians can put up these walls that can make it seem like WE are the ones who have it all together, and everyone else is just horrible people. When the fact is - we are ALL horrible people. 

My heart is just as wicked as the homosexual couples who got married on November 3rd. 

So do these couples need laws? Do they need propositions? Millions of dollars was spent on the "Yes on 8" campaign, and I just think of what we could have done with those millions of dollars. Eventually, the law will be overturned, and gay marriage will be made legal. Are we going to keep investing so much energy in changing laws?....

or maybe we should invest this much time, energy, and money into changing hearts

There are a lot of wicked hearts out there that God wants to change. 

Tomorrow I am speaking in the women's ministry, and I am going to speak on "Yahweh"....the great "I am". God identified Himself as the "I am" to Moses, and then Jesus also identifies Himself as the "I am" as to identify Himself as God. 

Lets be reminded today that the greatest of great "I am's",  humbled Himself by wrapping Himself in flesh, and coming on this earth to die a sacrificial death for not only your wicked heart, but the wicked hearts of so many others. 

Lets start walking in humility again, shall we?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Carrie, I couldn't have said it better myself! Defiantly one of the best blogs you have ever written!! I completely agree :-)

StrivingPsalmist said...

Well done, friend.

Also, I love Roy. His commitment to the Body is something I can only hope to have one day...

Carrie said...

Thanks "anonymous" and Jon! :)

blythe said...

I love that verse of that particular hymn, and I loved this post.

blythe said...

p.s. Dale to officate?? Didn't know that was something I needed to be organizing just yet...... ;)

Anonymous said...

hahaha "anonymous" aka Bammer

Benjamin Camp said...

how sure are you that the scriptures are clear that homosexuality is a sin?

Carrie said...

Ben Camp! Hello friend!

Well, right now, as I sit here today, I am 100% sure. What are they teaching you over there at Fuller? ;)