Friday, September 12, 2008

I am so not ready to have children...

So one of the pastors at my church and his wife are going to Honduras this weekend to take a mini "vision trip" for our church. Hopefully we will be able to "adopt" a portion of Honduras, and support everything happening there for the rest of our church life. Well I was so excited for them to go, and Tatum (the wife) was a little nervous about leaving her kids for so long (only 5 days..), so I offered to babysit one of the nights they needed help. Somehow, anytime I end up watching their kids, something crazy happens. For instance, the one time I was watching Cade when she was a baby and I didn't think to heat up the bottle of milk. No wonder she wouldn't drink the ice cold milk! It's not like I don't know what I am doing. I was ten years old when my twin sisters were born, which meant I learned a lot about little kids for the rest of my life. But I think just being solely responsible for THREE kids, all by myself, can make me nervous. The Normans always give me a hard time about messing things up when I watch their kids. I always reassure them - what could really go wrong when I have so much love for them? Right?.... :)

Weeeell, last night started out fine. The kids were already in bed and I was just hanging out reading. Right around 11pm I heard Cadence start to cry. She had been sick with a fever all day, and Tatum did not want to leave her. I told Tatum that her ticket to Honduras was too expensive to ditch out on. So I run upstairs and give Cadence her medicine and some water, and then she fell asleep again. Thirty minutes later I heard her crying again. But these weren't just any kind of cries, these were like panic attack cries of wanting her mother. I felt so bad because I would have to tell her that her mom was thousands of miles away in a third world country flying on little planes that could possible crash. Okay, I didn't tell her that, but nonetheless, she wasn't happy about her mother being gone. But who would be happy about that?! Even today when I am sick I want my mom to come take care of me. There is absolutely nothing more comforting than your mom's presence when you are sick. Cadence was so sad, she was making me want MY mom. But seriously, I didn't know what to do. I felt so bad. She was sick and crying, and so then I started to cry because I felt so bad! I just kept praying for God to give her comfort. :(

Finally she went to sleep again and then at around 12:30am she started crying again. It went on like this the ENTIRE night. Every time I would try to convince her to come sleep with me so she didn't wake up her sister, but she refused. I asked her if I could sleep on the floor with her (because I was tired of getting up and walking down the hall), but she also refused to let me do that. The worst was at 3am when I had to give her her next dose of medicine. It seriously took like 20 minutes and 20 sips. She did not want to drink her medicine. I was bribing her with everything. Juice boxes, toys, dolls, a twenty-dollar bill...anything. Finally she drank it and fell asleep again. So the half-hour increments kept me up all night, and it was just insane. Finally at 7am  I got up and gave her her medicine again. Ryah was already up and so I put a movie on downstairs. I packed Elias' lunch, made him breakfast, and helped him get ready. 

Finally I get everyone outside and head to the car. I shut the house door and then quickly realize - I forgot the house key inside. I locked us out! At that point I just wanted to collapse, but quickly realized that I had left the slider door open because I had just let the dog (Denali) outside to pee. Looks like I was going to be hopping the fence when I got back. I load everyone in the car and also realize that the Norman's driver side door is broken. So I climb over the passenger seat into my seat, and we are finally on our way. We drive to school and I am trying my hardest to have Elias explain to me where he needs to be dropped off at. They are not telling me any information other than, "Don't park in the red! There are cops everywhere! My mom gets tickets all the time! Don't park in the red!" I was saying, "Okay! Okay! I am not going to park in the red...just tell me where to go, pleeeease." They don't know what to tell me so I just get in the line of cars that drops off the kids on the sidewalk. I pull up and I see Elias' neighbor friend, and I am like, "Elias, there is your friend, jump out and walk with him." Elias was adamant that he was not allowed to get out at this point. I keep trying to convince him that it's okay, he won't get in trouble, just get out and walk to class (because I can't park because it's red!). People were honking at me and getting all angry because I was sitting in the "drop-off zone" for so long. Ryah was convinced that Elias could get out there, so I believed her. Finally, Ryah said to Elias, "Elias, Carrie is the boss, you have to listen to her!" So Elias was like, "Okay, I will get out...but I have to walk FAR!" And then proceeded to slam the door. Naturally, I didn't believe him, but I yelled out the window, "Don't worry Elias...I will follow you to your class in the car." Oh, did I mention that I was trying to avoid getting out of the car and walking because right before we left Cadence was telling me how she needed to throw up. I really didn't want her to throw up all over me while walking Elias to class. 

So of course I end up being wrong, and poor Elias with his recently healed limp foot has to limp all the way around the school. Now, I don't think he reeeally has to do this...I think this is just where Tatum likes to drop him off. He can actually go THROUGH the school, but for some reason, they go AROUND the school gate, all the way up this hill, and down this set of stairs. But still, I felt horrible because I dropped him off sooo far away. I am a horrible person. 

So the girls and I get home and we walk around to the side gate which I realize is locked. The dog is freaking out, but I just thought she was excited. No. I quickly discover that she is trying to attack us as intruders when I lift Ryah over the fence and Denali attacks her. She is scratching her and biting her. Ryah is crying and I am just screaming at Denali trying to climb myself over the fence. But I can't leave Cade! Ah! Finally I grab onto Denali, and I am yelling at Ryah to go into the house and shut the door so Denali doesn't follow her. Ryah is trying to get the door open and it won't budge. I just keep telling her to pull harder and finally the door budges. I grab Cade and we start walking back. Apparently Ryah had let Denali out of the house, so she runs (super fast) by us and pushes Cade over on the ground. So now Cadence is crying like a maniac and the dog is running around the street like crazy and so I just get the girls in the house and shut the door because I am scared that Denali will come in and attack us or something (Tatum knows I am scared of this...) ;) and then the girls start crying saying, "Let Denali in...she is out there all alone." I am thinking, what the heck? The dog just attacked both of you! So I open the door and the dog comes running in. I yell at her to get in the backyard, and finally, we settle in again. 

By this point I am so exhausted. I haven't slept. I haven't even gotten ready, so I just look a MESS. I make breakfast for the girls, and they eat and watch their show. I make Ryah's lunch and I get ready for school. Then, I have to do it all over again. Except this time I grabbed the house key, and no matter what, I was walking Ryah to class. Dropping off Ryah was easier, though she was adamant about letting her walk herself once her friends were in sight. I let her walk herself, but stalked her until she was inside the gate sitting in line. Ryah gave us a wave and smile and we were good to go. Cadence and I made it back (while climbing over and back over the passenger seat a million times I want to add...), and settled down to watch the Doodle Bops...or whatever the heck those creepy painted people are called. Now I am just waiting for Aunt Joyce to come here and relieve me. Oh what a relief it will be. I am so not ready to have children...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. Too bad they don't have a nanny cam, this could be a feature film!

Love Jessie

P.s. You could totally have kids. It starts off with just one and he or she is just a little baby that doesn't do anything, so it's pretty easy to handle. Then you ....slowly.... have to deal with harder stuff and by the time you have three kids, you're prepared!

about me said...

Carrie, I am telling you, one day you will have 6 kids in your 15 passenger van and you are going to be one of those moms that yells and swats at your kids while trying to drive,all while Coldplay is blaring...