Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Visit to my Favorite Place in the World!

My love for the La Mirada area kind of freaks me out. I mean, after all, it's only La Mirada, California. It's not like I am in Rome or Spain or Jerusalem or something. I don't know what it is, but there is just something about those cities right in between Orange County and Los Angeles that I love so much. 

It reminds me a little bit of where I grew up in Hawthorne (Holly Glen), California. Kind of "ghetto-ey", but still kind of nice. Where there are homes that are older than 2 seconds, and demographics which include a wide variety of people groups. It's a place where it's not really safe to walk around at night, but where your neighbors would totally have your back because they actually know who you are. 

And of course the most glorious part of La Mirada is that it is where all my Biola peeps are. Visiting the city again last night was a glorious event. I was able to go back to my old dorm, Stewart, and see the fence they put in around it. My friends and I thought of all the ways you could break in still, but hoping for the best (...less robberies). Yet there is still no fence around the boys quads which is kind of funny. But come on, PUQ can take on anyone. ;)

I went around doing my favorite Biola things. Getting a pedicure at Happy Nails (like old times when the Eden girls would go on Saturdays after brunch), sipping on some boba at my favorite boba place, getting gas at my favorite Mobil off of Beach, and going to Chili's with some of the Fitness Center staff. I also saw Lindsay's new house which is super cute, and in an awesome neighborhood. 

I fell in love with La Mirada all over again, and I wish I could live there. It's funny, because I tried to imagine myself moving back, but I still felt like I was called to minister to the people in South Orange County. And because of that, I am a firm believer that you should live where you are called to minister. None of this commuting stuff for church peeps. 

But maybe one day I will be able to call La Mirada home again. Where I can go back to my favorite Trader Joe's and Target, and be ever so close to all the things I love the most...One day...

2 comments:

carissa anne said...

i hope everyone appreciates how odd this is: you prefer the LA basin to south OC! i think it's great. :] i think i'm going to miss it too.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha...I used to go to that Mobil too ;)

Jessie