Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wisdom Teeth - Bye Bye

Well, lets hope I am not writing this to jinx myself, because I guess that all could go bad today, and this blog could be riddled with lies. But I don't think that will be the outcome. 

You see, it's a miracle! I got my wisdom teeth pulled (I only had 3), and besides a little bleeding, and some pain yesterday, I am perfectly fine. I mean, don't me wrong, I am a little sore, but only like maaaybe a 3 out of a 10 scale. My mom woke me up this morning and demanded to see if my face my swollen, and it's not at all! And I actually feel better than before because my wisdom teeth were putting so much pressure on my mouth. 

The bummer about this outcome - my mother would have jumped in the pool and swam to the bottom if she knew that there was something in there that I wanted. I was waited on hand and foot all day yesterday. She bought all my favorite things which don't involve chewing (which will still be useful), and I was able to catch up on about 6 movies. It was great. 

So, just in case you are wondering my story of wisdom teeth extraction, I am going to give it to you, so you can kind of know what it's like, if you have never experienced it. 

I got to the dentist and they immediately gave me a valium to relax me. I didn't think it would, because in the past they would make my jittery. But I don't know what was in that valium, because it worked miracles. I was practically falling asleep in the waiting room. I was so nervous walking into the dentist office, but by the time I went into the surgery room, I was feeling pretty calm. I laid down on the dentist chair and they strapped me in and started giving me laughing gas. They said that the anesthesiologist would come in and answer my questions in a few minutes. Well those few minutes went by and I could barely think of any questions because I was laughing at everything. That laughing gas is awesome. The dentist came over and asked how I was doing. I told him, "Ooohhh yahhh...I'm doing great doc...this stuff really works!" He just laughed. 

Finally the anesthesiologist lady came over and somehow I was able to ask her if she would putting me totally out, or like a "twilight" outage. She then explained to me that sometimes people wake up. Well that laughing gas wore off right there and I was like, "What do you mean sometimes people wake up?!" Then she said, "Well I have to tell you, 99% don't wake up, but there is that 1% who do." I looked at her like "duh". I told her, "Yah, I understand that, and if I am the 1% then dangit, but I am pretty sure I will be in the 99%...don't scare me like that." At that point she proceeded to get my IV in, and I started sucking on that gas even more because she basically ruined my "buzz" by telling me that. Then I started praying to God - "God, please knock me out completely. And please, when I wake up, give me no pain or swelling, because I really want to go to church on Sunday." The next thing I knew, my dentist was over my face, and I said to him, "Doctor, please numb me up good, just in case something goes wrong...", and then I was out. 

I woke up in the same bed, with the same people surrounding me, yelling at me, "Carrie, open your eyes, open your eyes!" I wonder how long they had been screaming at me. I opened my eyes, and the thought went through my head, "Hey what's up guys, did you do it or what?" But I couldn't really say anything. As soon as I opened my eyes, the two dentists were moving me to the recovery room where my dad was waiting there. I laid down and all of a sudden I had this insane headache and jaw pain. It was seriously like the worst pain I had ever felt. I kept telling them, "I need ice, I need ice." They brought me ice and an extra strength motrin, and explained to me that my mouth kept clinching shut (good ol' mouth, even comes through when I am unconscious...my mouth does not like the dentist either), and so they had to pry it open the whole time. This would explain the insane pain I had. But twenty minutes went by, and I was good as new. I was pretty out of it, but I was ready to go home.

Best rule of getting your wisdom teeth out - You must have a milkshake or smoothie as soon as you get home! You have to drink half of your milkshake so you can take your meds, and then drink the rest. So my dad took me to Jamba Juice and ordered me something delicious. It was glorious. 

I got home and followed the smoothie directions, and then put gauze back in my mouth because the bleeding was pretty bad. I started icing like a maniac, according to their rules. All I wanted to do was fall asleep, but I just had my parents wake me up every 15 minutes so I could ice for 15 minutes. Though this was a pain, I think this is why I don't have a lot of swelling. Though, like I said, I could be jinxing myself because they swelling is supposed to come on the second day, and that's today. So we will see...

So, that is my experience. I will update you if anything crazy happens. And if you don't see me at church tomorrow, then you can assume that what happened to this poor girl, happened to me today:


Yikes. Lets hope not...

4 comments:

theekevy said...

My brother woke up during his wisdom teeth operation. He didn't freak out, but we got charged extra money because they had to use more drugs to put him back to sleep. My cheeks got really puffy when I had mine out; no fun. Keep on staying alive!

S G said...

sounds like we had similar wisdom teeth experiences! I had no pain or swelling... and liked being knocked out by the drugs. My sister was so mad because she swelled up like a chipmunk when she had hers out. Hope you continue to heal well! :)

blythe said...

i just did laughing gas the whole time (didn't get completely knocked out) and i had a BLAST. that gas is a-gas! ;)

Carrie Marie said...

Kevin - I am happy you didn't tell me that story before I went in for surgery ;)

Steph - Welcome to the blog world.

Blythe - You are a brave woman! I don't know if I could have made it through without being completely put out, but I do have a major fear of dentistry work. But that gas is pretty fun... :)