Monday, June 23, 2008

"They Like Jesus But Not the Church"

So, I am reading through this book, and I have already found it to be very interesting. I would like to start by giving a disclaimer: I do not think this book is of an "emergent" nature, but will admit it is coming from a guy who is all about the "emerging" church". I believe the emerging church is not a bad thing, and if you would like to talk about more with me, I would be happy to buy you coffee. 

Anyway, Kimball said something in the intro of his book that has not left my mind ever since, and I want to share it to maybe get your brainwaves a thinking and your mouths a talking to me. This statement seems almost prophetic, and that's a scary thing. 

"We are living in an increasingly 'post-Christian' culture. America once was more of a 'Christian nation' who influences and values were aligned with Judeo-Christianity values and ethics. Even most atheists had a good sense of the story line of the Bible and its main characters, and usually respected the Bible and Christian pastors..."

...but now, "Emerging generations don't have one God as the predominant God to worship. Rather, they are open to all types of faiths, including new mixtures of religions...Most church leaders now actually feel embarrassed to tell people they are pastors...Some people aren't even comfortable saying they are a Christian but come up with new terms such as 'Christ-Follower' to avoid negative and distorted associations..."

..."I heard once someone explain that the church in America is not above what happened in Europe. Europeans nations have truly become post-Christian nations. Their great cathedrals and church buildings once were filled with people, but now they sit almost empty on Sunday mornings and serve as tourist attractions. Far more people go through them sightseeing than actually worship there. We shouldn't think that we're above such a thing happening here. With the increasing dropout rate of people in emerging generations, it could be our destiny that in thirty or forty years, all of our recently constructed megachurch buildings, which are now filled with people, will end up as virtually empty tourist attractions. I bet in Europe they never guessed that was their future, and we shouldn't be so overly confident that is won't happen here too."

3 comments:

(maritza) said...

Buy me coffee. I wanna know more about this.

carissa anne said...

i like dan kimball sometimes in and in some ways, and this is one of those times and one of those ways. totally agree with everything he said. i think the book Finding Common Ground says some similar things, although it's nothing like this book, and it was very formative for me.

hi carrie :]

Carrie Marie said...

Maritza - I said I would buy you coffee if you were distraught over the fact that I am okay with the "emerging" church...trust me, you are not distraught ;)
but alright, I should still buy you coffee...

Carissa - Hi! I want to start our blog...but I still can't think of a name. We will just take it slow...but I haven't given up! Thanks for the thoughts; I definitely want to check out "Finding Common Ground", and I am excited to hear that the two books are different. This would be different from Shane Claiborne's books - which are very similar :(
I hope you are well...getting ready from IL!?