Saturday, June 14, 2008

I Will Possess Your Heart.


So lately I have been totally caught up in Death Cab's new single, "I will possess your heart". I will be honest, I doubted Ben Gibbard and his new album, because I am usually disappointed by new albums from bands who have been around for awhile. I refused to buy tickets to their concert and I didn't even listen to their single until I heard it on the radio one day. Then, suddenly, the beautiful sound of Ben's voice came ringing back into my ears, and I was hooked. Seriously, Ben could be singing in another language and the song would still be so beautiful...



...his voice just sounds that good.



So I have been singing along, all excited about how the song is talking about a boy wanting to win a girls heart. I started thinking about past relationships, and found myself passionately singing the lyrics as if I wrote them :)

Well, tonight I watched the music video and it hit me - the song is not about a boy wanting a girl.

Lets read some lyrics:

How I wish you could see the potential
The potential of you and me
It’s like a book elegantly bound, but
In a language that you can’t read just yet


You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart
You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart


There are days when, outside your window
I see my reflection as I slowly pass
And I long for this mirrored perspective
When we’ll be lovers, lovers at last


You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart
You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart
I will possess your heart
I will possess your heart


You reject my advances and desperate pleas
I won’t let you let me down so easily
So easily


You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart

HOLY MOLY!

Don't you see it?!

Okay, probably not yet...time to watch the video...yes, all 8 minutes.



Do you see it yet?! Do you hear it?!

You see, what "slowly passes by our window" is THIS WORLD. This beautiful world that God has created. We are supposed to take some time to be with God's creation.

Now, I definitely believe that this is where Death Cab was going with this song, but I am going to take it even further because I always like to worship God with my music, even when the writer didn't make it for that.

Okay, so lets imagine that this is God singing to us. Now, read the lyrics again:

How I (God!) wish you (you!) could see the potential
The potential of you and me
It’s like a book elegantly bound, but
In a language that you can’t read just yet

You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart

There are days when, outside your window
I see my reflection as I slowly pass
And I long for this mirrored perspective
When we’ll be lovers, lovers at last

You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart
You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart
I will possess your heart
I will possess your heart

You reject my advances and desperate pleas
I won’t let you let me down so easily
So easily

You got to spend some time, love
You got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find, love
I will possess your heart


So I am going to make a statement that is not very "reformed", but I believe it is true. I feel like this could easily be the song that God sings to all of His creation - the people whom are made in His image.

"you reject My advanced and desperate pleas, I won't let you let me down so easily...so easily"

I just encourage you to meditate on this song for awhile. Whether you want to think about how this could be God speaking to us...or whether this song tells you, "hey, slow down, and look at the beautiful world God has created." My favorite scene in the video is the one where the lady stops to chat with the guy working in the store...what a statement! And then to end the video with her just looking out at the ocean...we just take so much for granted...do we not?

7 comments:

carissa anne said...

i love finding stuff like this! dcfc always has such deep soul-searchy lyrics, especially. good post. now i'm going to buy the album.

Bethany Pee said...

you know what's good too, is picturing Ben as Adam

Carrie Marie said...

adam sabolick?

Bethany Pee said...

Hahaha yess Adam Saboh

Andrew Faris said...

We might disagree on this one friend. I love their music, but I think this song is about a stalker (cf. "Every Move You Make" by the Police).

That said, I appreciate you Carrie. I really envy your passion to find Christ in everything you possibly can. My heart is normally too hard and jaded for that.

Carrie Marie said...

But Christ IS IN everything!!! He is the creator and sustainer of ALL things!

:)

But yah, it might be about a stalker...a stalker who is made in the image of God!

carissa anne said...

okay, i'm glad andrew faris said something before me because i was starting to think i was crazy. i hadn't actually heard the song when you posted this, and the lyrics DO sound like what you said - when you read them. but then i listened to it and realized the music completely undermines that idea, and actually sounded really creepy... and then i realized it was about a stalker. :D

just goes to show, musical rhetoric is a powerful force... like jimi hendrix's version of the star-spangled banner.