Monday, April 28, 2008

Low Position

There are so many things I should be doing right now...like the massive amounts of homework that is piling up to my ears. But I had to get these thoughts out before I lose them. Sometimes I wish I had more time to blog so what I say could sound better (especially when it comes to grammar), so forgive me if there are errors.

I have a presentation on the book of James on Wednesday and something that has been sticking out to me is in chapter one, where James says:

"The brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position. But the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower." James 1:9-10

Last night I was meditating on this statement, trying to think about all the times I try with all my might to put myself in some sort of "high position". This could very from situation to situation, but I think a good example for me to use is church ministry. For some strange reason, people look highly towards ministers of the gospel. But by "highly", I mean that they look to "ministers" as people of importance, placing them in a high position. Sometimes, as a past church staff worker (and soon to be one again), it can be easy to fall into the mindset of feeling important, and in a high position. Don't get me wrong, ministers are very important and they do have a "high" position in the sense that they will be "highly" judged for doing wrong, but the position is nothing to be prideful about.

We are the lowest of the low.

For years I have been reading through the New Testament, and I have read (and memorized!...thank you Dr. Thoennes) this passage in Philippians, but for some reason, it really hit me today.

I am going to skip around a bit, but you can find the whole thing in the passage: Philippians 2:1-11

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves...Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who being in the very nature of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name..."

I have read this passage a million times, but the Holy Spirit is just speaking it so loudly and clearly to me today, it's beautiful. Thank you Lord.

Christ isn't asking too much of us when he asks us to humble ourselves, to put ourselves in a low position, because He has already showed us the ultimate example of this by laying down his life for our immortality. Who are we to try and put ourselves in a high position? And even if we try to do so, we will never reach the high position that Christ is going to put us in one day...

"And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms of Jesus Christ..." Ephesians 2:6

We are so undeserving, but one day, we will be raised to the highest position attainable. It is not our goal on earth to reach that position, it is our goal to show Christ's love to others who don't know Him, and to do so, we must imitate our Lord's example of this. We must daily submit ourselves to seeking humility that is Christlike, and daily take pride in our low position.

Jesus was tempted and he struggled, but he took pride in his low position because he loved us. Lord, help me to love others so that I too can consistently put myself in a low position, as I look forward to the exaltation that will be eventually given to me through the Father, because of Christ's sacrifice.

No comments: