Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Books in 2008

First and foremost, I am mostly looking forward to the publishing of Dr. Jon Lunde's book on discipleship and prior grace. I will keep you posted on more information as I get it. Dr. Lunde is also working on a New Testament use of the Old book which should be published in 2008 as well; it should be an excellent addition to any library.
I would also encourage you to check out Dr. Matt Williams video Bible studies which are published by Zondervan; they are fantastic. I was blessed enough to have both of these professors at Biola. Dr. Lunde for "New Testament" and "Jesus' Life and Ministry"; Dr. Williams for "Johannine Literature". I will also have them next semester as well: Dr. Lunde in "New Testament Use of the Old", and Dr. Williams in "New Testament Theology". I am so thankful for their ministry to us students here at BIOLA University.

5 Books that I am MOST looking forward to reading in 2008 (in no particular order):

1. "What are Spiritual Gifts: Rethinking the Conventinal View" - Kenneth Berding

--I read through this book in 2007 (rather quickly), and I would really love to sit down and take my time while going through it once again. Dr. Berding has a lot of good things to say, but a lot of these things really challenge what I have always thought about spiritual gifts. This is a must read for me before I heavily get into ministry. Also, look forward to Dr. Berdings Cd's to help "sing" your way through New Testament Greek...it's due out in May 2008.

2. "Commentary on the New Testament use of the Old Testament" - G. K. Beale and D. A. Carson

--This is required for my NT use of the OT class; I am really looking forward to reading it.

3. "The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Historical Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition"
- Paul Rhodes Eddy and Gregory A. Boyd

--This book has great reviews. It is also rumored as "the book" to be discussed at 2008's ETS meeting in Providence, Rhode Island. It is highly recommended by Dr. Jon Lunde, and I am very excited to read it.

4. "New Testament History: A Narrative Account" - Ben Witherington

--I picked this up at ETS 2007 and I have wanted to read it so badly but haven't had the time. I love history, especially NT history, and I am really looking forward to Witherington's "narrative account".

5. "Old Testament Ethics for the People of God" - Christopher Wright

--Christopher Wright is a wonderful author. As you read in the post prior to this one, Wright's book, "Jesus in the Old Testament", made my top 5 books of 2007. Doesn't the title of this one just give you the chills?! We will see if it makes my top 5 (or maybe 10) book list of 2008.

No comments: